Pre-euroamerican Contact: A prehistoric archaeological site is located at Jordan Hot Springs. Jordan Hot Springs is a traditional Native American religious and encampment area.
1857 – John Jordan and family come to Tulare County.
1860 – In March of Darwin French discover gold and silver in the Coso Range.
1861 – In May John Jordan begins blazing the trail. Two routes blazed that spring and summer, splitting at the Kern River. On the 7th of November John Jordan, et al., petition the Tulare County Board of Supervisors for a franchise to build a toll trail from Visalia to the Owens Valley.
1762 – A charter is granted to Jordan, et al., to build the trail. A proviso is added that the trail will be widened into a road.
1762 – On the 22nd of May John Jordan drowns in the Kern River.
1863 – A subscription of $1,600 is raised to complete the trail.
1863 – Fifty-two troops of Company D are moved from Camp Independence to the recently established Fort Babbitt near Visalia in order to protect Union loyalists from Southern sympathizers.
1864 – The McFarland Toll Road Company completes the road over Greenhorn Mtn. and Walker Pass. The famous Wheeler Expedition uses the Jordan trail.
1875 – The first building may have been erected at this time.
1890 – The first lodge, of split logs, is said to have been built at this time.
1893 – The Sierra Forest Reserve is established. Sheep are expelled from the Forest Reserves.
Late 1800s – Backpacking and hiking in the remote country of the southern Sierra Nevada become popular. The Jordan Trail is used by foot and horse traffic and by Sierra Club outings. Upwards of twenty five to thirty tents are said to be set up at Jordan Hot Springs.
1900 – 1950 – The cow camp era.
1905 – Forest Reserves are transferred to Department of Agriculture and renamed National Forests.
1908 – The huge Sierra National Forest is divided into the Sierra, Sequoia, Inyo, Mono, and Stanislaus National Forests.
1915 – The United States Geological Survey Bulletin contains a reference to "an old log cabin and rude tables" at Jordan Hot Springs .
1916 – The Forest Service puts a telephone line into Jordan Hot Springs.
1918 or 1919 – Ethel Olivas attends a dance at Jordan Hot Springs.
1915 – 1923 – Second construction episode.
1920 – Hal Womack is the permittee.
1923 – Maurice Parker's first visit to Jordan Hot Springs. The administration of Jordan Hot Springs switches from the Sequoia National Forest to the Inyo National Forest. A Tract Map is compiled showing the location of the buildings.
1925 – Walter Dowell becomes the permittee. The sawmill and the pelton wheel are installed.
1926 – 1938 – Third construction episode.
1927 – Bill Carrassco first goes to Jordan Hot Springs.
1930s – Airfields are built at Tunnel, Templeton Meadow, and Monache Meadow.
1935 – alt Gregg is the permittee.
1938 – Lumber for the Olivas cabin is milled at Jordan.
1941 – Clarence Purnel, Elmo Purnel, and Tom Mader buy Jordan Hot Springs from a Mr. Simmons in the spring. At this time, it is not in operation.
1941 – present: Fourth construction episode.
1964 – Purnel sells to Reginald Stocking; he and his wife continued to run it for two more years. During most of Stocking's tenure it is not run as a commercial enterprise.
1972 – Burkhardt buys the lease.
1978 – Golden Trout Wilderness is established.
1984 – The Quinns take the permit over from Burkhardt.
1987 – The Parkers become the new permittees.
(Timeline courtesy of Linda A. Reynolds' Historical Evaluation of Jordan Hot Springs Resort - 1988 report)